Dementia Action Week, a major leadership, awareness and advocacy campaign led by Dementia Australia, is running from September 18-24, 2023.
This year’s theme is Act Now for a Dementia-Friendly Future.
Dementia affects close to half a million Australians, and that number is set to double in the next 25 years.
Many Australians will start experiencing the impact of dementia amongst their own family and friends in the coming years.
Dementia Action Week is an opportunity for all Australians to learn more about dementia and what they can do to create a more dementia-friendly future for everyone.
What is a dementia-friendly community?
A dementia-friendly community is a place where people living with dementia and their families and carers feel supported and included. It is a community where people with dementia are able to live well and participate fully in all aspects of community life.
How can we create a more dementia-friendly future?
There are many things that we can do to create a more dementia-friendly future. Here are a few ideas:
- Learn more about dementia and how it affects people.
- Be patient and understanding with people living with dementia.
- Offer help and support to people living with dementia and their families and carers.
- Make your business or organisation more dementia-friendly.
- Advocate for policies and programs that support people living with dementia and their families and carers.
Dementia Action Week events
Dementia Australia is hosting a range of events during Dementia Action Week, including:
- Dementia Awareness Walks around Australia.
- Dementia Awareness Forums featuring experts on dementia.
- Dementia-Friendly Business Workshops to help businesses become more dementia-friendly.
- Online events such as webinars and live Q&A sessions.
How to get involved:
- Register for a Dementia Awareness Walk or Dementia Awareness Forum.
- Attend a Dementia-Friendly Business Workshop.
- Participate in an online event.
- Make a donation to Dementia Australia.
- Talk to your friends and family about dementia.
- Encourage your local businesses and organisations to become more dementia-friendly.
For further information – dementia.org.au/dementia-action-week