The care and support economy is one of the fastest-growing parts of the Australian economy. It is estimated that demand for care and support services will increase by 50% over the next decade. This growth is driven by several factors, including an ageing population, an increase in chronic diseases, and a growing awareness of the importance of social care.
The National Care and Support Economy Strategy 2023 sets out a vision for a sustainable and productive care and support economy that delivers quality care and support with decent jobs. The strategy has three high-level goals:
- Quality care and support: People have access to the care and support they need, delivered by a workforce with the right skills and training; The strategy aims to ensure that there are enough skilled workers to meet demand and that these workers are paid a fair wage and have access to safe and supportive workplaces.
- Decent jobs: Care and support workers are paid a fair wage and have access to safe and supportive workplaces; The strategy aims to improve the quality of jobs in the care and support sector by creating more opportunities for career progression and professional development.
- Productive and sustainable: The care and support economy is efficient and innovative and provides a positive return on investment.
The strategy outlines a number of actions to achieve these goals, including:
- Investing in workforce development to ensure that there are enough skilled workers to meet demand.
- Improving the quality of care and support services through better regulation and oversight.
- Creating more opportunities for career progression and professional development for care and support workers.
- Supporting the development of innovative care and support models that improve efficiency and productivity.
The National Care and Support Economy Strategy 2023 is a comprehensive and ambitious plan to transform the care and support sector. It is a critical step in ensuring that Australia has a sustainable and productive care and support economy that meets the needs of all Australians.
Consultation on the draft strategy is open until 11.59 pm 26 June 2023 – CLICK HERE TO PARTICIPATE.